I have an old Gaming PC and want to update to medium specs. what would you suggest I need to do that?

PC SPECS:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor 

Motherboard - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

MB-235-MS

Power Supply - Corsair Builder Series CX 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply 

SSD - Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Drive SATA 6Gbs 3 2.5" (7mm height) Solid State Hard Drive 

RAM - TeamGroup Xtreem LV "Frost Edition" 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache WD10EZEX - OEM ** Single Platter ** HDD

GPU - GeForce GTX 760

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

upgrade the GPU to a 1070 at least

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It really depends on what you play on it, but it's pretty easy to test and see what you actually need.

Just open up Task Manager, click more details, then click the performance tab. It will show you how much of the GPU your games use as you play them. Leave it open and check the graph after playing your favorite games a while. If the GPU graph is maxing out while the game is running then that's what you need to upgrade.

If the GPU isn't maxing out, and your RAM isn't maxing out, then the next thing I'd look at is the processor, though that processor should be fine for most games except the very CPU heavy ones that support more than 4 cores.

• 4 weeks ago

Nice 2013 build.

You could skate by with the i5-4670 but if you have an extra $120-150 then you can take a look at the i7-4790k. Prices of used 4790k 's should creep lower as new processors become available.

Otherwise the GTX 760 really needs to go. If you want something quick, dirty and cheap then look on the 2nd hand market for a used 8gb RX 580 which can be found for around $100. You could also look at a used 6gb GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 as well. Otherwise if you're in it for a brand new card then look at the GTX 1660, GTX 1660ti, RTX 2060, or RX 5700. Avoid the 3gb GTX 1060.

Upgrade the RAM if your RAM usages become too high. I'd suggest paying attention to the RAM.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

CPU score is 7470

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Your GT 760 is rank #136 in this table, where lower rank is higher up stronger cards.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-La...

Your average performance reduction for the CPU is about 25% often with lower minimums in fps for less stability.

Your current upgrade is graphics card. Your money available and country for prices determines what you can use. You can decide about used cards and use a table of performance and note high wattage puts out more heat, and card length in your computer case needs to be considered.

You can eventually browse around used tested CPUs from reliable sellers on ebay for compatible to motherboard i7's such as i7-4770 or i7-4770K

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-G45-GA...

You might also improve the CPU cooler. Your motherboard supports overclocking of an i7-4770K.

In the USA, a GTX 1650 4GB is available at under US$150 after rebates

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort...

Your card sells used for $30 to $60 now.

It gets you to a rank #77 or 78. You could get a used GTX 970 as slightly better on ebay for $80 to $100 or so, if it works properly. They were over $300 new so be cautious about selling prices of used cards.

An AMD RX 570 (install new drivers) 4GB version is a little lower in price and RX 570 8GB a little higher. The 8GB ranks at #61.

GTX 1060 3GB is also available at under $160 plus tax after rebate.

It's about spend. GTX 1660 6GB is a little over $200 and is better than gtx 1060 6gb ranking #60

Be aware of performance in used cards for true value.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

First step: replace the GPU. Anything up to a 1060 (or equivalent) at least. I'm running a i5-4690K with a 1080ti for VR, and the GPU is usually underwhelmed (while the CPU and PSU are struggling).

Second order would be to replace that 128 GB SSD with a 500GB or 1 TB, and remove the HDD.

• 1 month ago

If thas upgradin thi specs lad, best to trust it ter yor optishun. You mek mi fuckin sick

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Keep everything the same, just update the GTX 760 to an RX 5700

• craig_mcee1 month agoReport

Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any cheaper cards worth taking a look at?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.