Do you believe repetitive TV commercials can covertly manipulate and shape your shopping choices?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Yes they can since some have subliminal issues in them.

• Rose1 month agoReport

I believe in the mute button XD

• 1 month ago

absolutely, while growing-up and watching t.v. i saw about a million cigarette ads. this is driven into my unconsciousness so that i "think" i want a cigarette, even though i do not smoke.

today, while there are fewer beer commercials, or cigarette commercials; there are 10-times more car sales commercials.

this is the problem in psychology: to create a neurotic need so as to provide surplus profit. it perverts the true meaning of humanistic psychology from "relieving suffering and providing happiness", into a self-serving profit motive. this advertising is denigrating the person by creating a false self-image that can only be assuaged by purchasing the product

Source(s): "psychology of human motivation". psychology of interpersonal relations". social psychology". "industrial psychology".
  • 1 month ago

Some . not all ....

• 1 month ago

It's a fact.. people have bought dog food and never owned a dog.. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There's nothing "covert" about it. Total saturation advertising has been a successful sales tool since the end of WWII. During the Romney campaign, a GOP leader said publicly, "If we repeat a lie often enough, it will become the truth". They don't even try to hide it. Nothing "covert" at all.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

SIX car ads in the first segment of last nights news and I will not be buying a new car until next summer. The rest of the ads for for a number of drugs for different ailments which frighten me but do not motivate me to take a pill for an ache. Advertisers know that it takes more impressions to influence you as you get older. That's why they like to market on programs that appeal to lower demographics. They are influenced with fewer impressions. I am sometimes motivated to look into a new product I may see on a commercial, but I have rarely been influenced to buy. I bought ONE bottle of Orange Vanilla Coke last summer because I saw it on TV. That's the only time I can say a commercial make be buy. (oh, the coke wasn't good enough to repeat...but I did buy it based on a commercial)

• 1 month ago

Yes, they definitely can.

• Mandy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No. No, they can’t.

• 1 month ago

No they just become boring.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course. That’s why so much money is spent on advertising. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.