I was doped into buying an unsigned art work. What should I do with it? Is it valueless?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • The word you're looking for is duped, not doped. What's the painting look like? Have you a picture of it? Most art has some sort of value.

• 4 weeks ago

Even an unsigned picture can have value. If you know who the artist was and have the provenance. Some artists may not sign because they dislike the work and chuck it out or give it away. This does not aleways make it valueless.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Somebody somewhere might want it, the trouble might be finding that person. I assume it is a print rather than an original art work, but I might be wrong.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you like it - what do you care?

(van gogh used to give away his paintings in exchange for a meal or a drink

even his charcoal drawings are now worth thousands

the fact that its unsigned dont necessarily mean its worthless

If you can get it authenticated as being painted by a known artist its value could skyrocket)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You chose to do it, even when you didn't see a signature on it. Buyer beware.

• 1 month ago

Do you like it or are you more worried about what you paid for it? If it appealed to your style and artistic view, frame it and hang it on the wall. If it appealed to you as an investment... Well, that is a problem, isn't it?

• 1 month ago

I learned many things from here. Never be doped.

• Frank
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Duped. Doped is not the word you are looking for, dope. All artwork is intrinsically valueless. Signed or unsigned is meaningless. Return the art work to where to bought it. If they don’t take it back and return your money, make a stink. You failed to mention the value. If the cost to sue is more than the value, you are stuck. Live and learn and NEVER BUY ART.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Learn from your mistake never be "doped" again. What you may find valuable would be a dictionary.

• maybe it is The Artist's Signature to not sign his Art. that doesn't mean it's valueless. you buy Art because you enjoy it or think someone else would enjoy it. that is it's value.

also, it 's possible The Artist signed the back of The Canvas or even hid a signature somewhere in it. 

if you mean you got scammed and bought a Reproduction, well - the odds are you couldn't afford the real one anyway and everyone that knows Art knows this. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.