Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

USCIS petition sent back to NVC...?

So my husband had the ir1 interview. The officer is sending the petition to USCIS via NVC due to the "marriage is not valid for immigration purposes".

We had our civil marriage in 2016 and at the advice of a lawyer had it legalized right before the interview as the civil ceremony is not recognized.

My question is, what happens now?

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Tell your fiance (he is not your husband since you are not legally married) that getting him Permanent Resident status in the USA as the spouse of a US citizen isn't going to happen and it is time for the two of you to go live in his country. See how many minutes it takes for him to drop you.

  • 1 month ago

    It absolutely boggles my mind that you would ask a very important question without as much information as the COUNTRY this took place.

    But based on knowing pretty much nothing about your case, in the eyes of the USCIS you are not legally married. What you need to do is get married formally, then submit the Certificate of Marriage to the USCIS. But even if you do that, it's quite possible that you'd have to start from scratch, as you were "not married" by the time you submitted your I-130 to the USCIS.

    If you want a better answer, you need to tell us ALL of the important facts.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Nothing. You didn't qualify for the visa. You are done.

  • 1 month ago

    If your marriage is legal in your husband's country, you can always arrange immigration matters to live together in your husband's country.

    A "marriage" which is not legally valid internationally, then some last-minute attempt to "legalize" it (how did you attempt that?) looks like immigration fraud - marriage fraud. Confer with your attorney again, but this does not look good at all.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    If you engaged a lawyer to help you with this and the lawyer said your marriage was not legal then why are you surprised that the document was rejected?

    You need to submit the document that shows a legal marriage. Have you done that?

    • Take a look here Update your question with the reason for the rejection.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.