Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Russia · 4 weeks ago

Is Russia a safe place to visit? I'd like to travel there and go on Trans-Siberian railway from even though I'm Australian. Would it work?

I'm sure you'll meet new friends on Trans-Siberian railway, as mostly the train full of Americans, Germans, Chinese and other foreigners. Russians are minority there)

78/100 I think in the Russia will be cold for you (and I lifing in the Russia)

• Marc

Safe? Since 1991, I have traveled to Russia yearly. Hardly a New Year wasted in USA. Russia is safer than many places. There are sane people, no guns on the street, little random violence. If you are careless in touristic areas, pickpocketing is the worst you probably would see. Don't keep your fat wallet hanging out of your back pocket, nor your smartphone..

I have strolled cities and towns from Barnaul to Moscow, SPB to Vologda, down to Sochi and Volgograd. Often at night we walk, searching for entertainment, food, drink, alcoholic or not. Our son travels (since 13, now 16) about Russia at will. 1500 miles from my wife's parent's city to a girl's city whom he met at camp. Yes, just a wild whim. Am I worried? Only that she could jilt him, but I don't see that.

Act with sense and no one will bother you.

No less your country.

Would better to prepare to language barrier.

• Marc
      4 weeks agoReport

Russian ants don't kill. Russian spiders don't kill either!!

Yes, of course you can go. There aren't a lot of tourists in Russia, except for the times cruise ships stop in St. Peterburg- but it is possible to get a tourist visa. I don't know what you mean by "safe". I was given a lot of warnings, especially in Moscow, and you have to be careful about taking taxis- get your hotel to call one for you.

• amy

atm I think so. I think the new cold war has mostly broken out in the rest of eastern Europe not russia. However Russia is now trying to wage war with America unless they fix it since they caused it. So if you want to go maybe now would a good time just in case.