Hope asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

How safe are generic batteries for Canon cameras?

I've been very careful with my beloved camera, buying on the original accessories eg SD cards, etc. However, the original Canon battery is way too expensive for me. I'm considering buying a generic battery, but how safe are they? I don't want to risk it; it took me years to save up enough for this camera. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Be careful who is manufacturing the generic photo battery.

Get a genuine battery grip.

If there is a generic battery leak it won't ruin your camera just the battery grip.

If the battery is too long you might easily snap the battery door hinge.

As mentioned the battery may get stuck or better yet leak.

Some of the generic photo battery reviews say they are under powered.

Garbage photo batteries may cause a fire while charging.

A few batteries have the wrong chip that may or supposedly messed up someone's camera with errors that never go away until it was fixed.

• Hope4 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was looking for - if there will be any problems with the generic battery. Thanks, I guess I gotta save up again. 

• Yes they are good

• blank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is fine to do

• 1 month ago

I have a Canon 80D, and in addition to that, I have the Promaster vertical grip for the 80D which came with 3 battery trays, 2 that accept 2 LP-E6N's and 1 that takes AA's.

For batteries, I have 2 Canon-brand LP-E6N's, and I have 2 REFUEL brand LP-E6N "aftermarket" batteries.

I have never had a problem with using the REFUEL brand batteries, either singly or has a pair in my vertical grip.

I have noticed that the REFUEL brand batteries last about 2/3 as long as the Canon brand. Not so much of an issue when you're using 2 at once, but still, something to consider.

I will say this...photography is an expensive hobby, if you intend to do it in any serious capacity. One should probably be financially able to buy a battery if you're financially able to own a decent camera.

• Hope4 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the reply. I got my camera 2nd hand at half the retail price, bcos it's a few years old. The battery however is in use by other models so it's still full price.... But I appreciate the info about the Refuel batteries. Thanks! ^_^

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I used generic batteries in my Canon cameras for years with no problems... until, I had one that would take a hammer to drive it into the camera, (I did not do that of course). If the battery was pushed into the camera, it certainly would have never come out. What happened? I did some research and found that it is not uncommon that in time some generic batteries WILL expand in size and not fit correctly in the camera. That is exactly what happened with me. Since then I have ONLY bought genuine Canon batteries. Also, with a generic battery you lose a lot of the battery info the camera can supply, such as detailed state of charge, number of times it has been charged, and life expectancy of the battery. To me now, there are simply too many drawbacks to using a generic battery just to save maybe $20.

• 1 month ago

Not safe at all scaaaaaaryv

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

From where I am, generic is the only one available. No problems whatsoever with all my cameras - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and even Leica. The best brand I noticed is Wasabi - higher maH, last longer.

• 1 month ago

I swap between 2 Canon and one Polaroid branded battery in my 7D MkII. It makes no difference which one is in there.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've never heard of any problem created by the use of a non-brand battery. Nikon, however, has gone the preditorial capitalist way by incorporating software & hardware that allows the camera to detect whether or not the battery in it is a Nikon battery. If it isn't, then the camera will shut down which is, IMHO, an unethical business practice.

The only possible downside to using an off-brand battery in your Canon is that it may not last as long. These batteries are made by a very select few companies, so it's highly unlikely that the battery could cause any damage. I would, however, stay away from really cheap Chinese batteries which could leak or even explode - just ask Sumsung smartphone owners.

• 1 month ago

Buy an original approved battery. It's just not worth it destroying the camera or getting the warranty canceled.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.