Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

I wonder why was the Roman Republic not restored after the death of Emperor Caligula?

Favorite Answer

To many tribes attacking on too many fronts and to many personal conflicts. Look at what's happening with the Federal goverment of the United states. Half or more of the Cabinet has scandals, the Attorney General should be impeached but provable will not be and the military and I security and intelligence agencies know there is argue unstable President, and the state department is hollowed out.

• CarolOkla

I was an American history major. I should be terrified, but I've e become numb. I try t avoid politics on weekends.

Too many powerful people were benefiting from the imperial form of government by that time, and didn't want to give up their privileges.

• Liz

The successor to Augustus, Tiberius (14-37 C.E.), was ruling during Jesus’ ministry. (Lu 3:1, 2, 21-23) Next came Gaius (Caligula) (37-41 C.E.) and Claudius (41-54 C.E.) It was under Trajan that the empire reached its greatest limits, the boundaries by then extending far out in all directions—to the Rhine and the North Sea, the Danube, the Euphrates, the cataracts of the Nile, the great African Desert, and the Atlantic on the W. During the declining years of the Roman Empire, Constantine the Great was emperor (306-337 C.E.). After seizing control, he transferred the capital to Byzantium (Constantinople). In the next century Rome fell, in 476 C.E., and the German warlord Odoacer became its first “barbarian” king.