Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 month ago

I spent $250 on a unsigned piece of paintings from a nyc street.After I got home, I realized it was jjunk. What should do with it?

My impulse is: just throw it away and pretend it never happened. As if I donated some money to the art community.

Second impulse: I still to mentally account how may days of rent it is for me. I could not forgive myself.

• John P

You should put it in your wall to remind you not to think carefully when you buy things for your house. Presumably you liked the appearance of it when you bought it, so why throw it away.

If your sole purpose in buying it was as an investment then you should have examined it carefully when you bought it, and probably should have demanded a certificate of provenance. And remember that the art market is a very fickle form of money-making. Some years some artists are all the rage, other years other artists. Not the sort of market to invest in, even with certificates unless you keep your eye closely on the market all the time.

If you cannot forgive yourself for "wasting" money, you should only ever buy food for yourself. All other purchases will be, in some form, a waste.

Actually I suspect your question is a troll.

You must have liked the painting if you bought is so hang it in the room.

You must have liked it enough to spend $250.