If a police officer was in the wrong and assaulted you but you decided to defend yourself and restrain him, would you still be in trouble?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Best quote I’ve heard that applies: You don’t fight the police in the streets, you fight them in court.

If you were able to beat up and restrain an officer (doubtful), then when his/her backup arrived they would merely arrest you and you would likely be charged with assault on a law enforcement officer.

Take the arrest, hire legal counsel who will defend you on your behalf and also sue the department/officer who arrested you

• Frank
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If there's no one else around and a cop assaults you and you're able to defend yourself and get his weapon away from him or her, and then you run away, you would still be in trouble you wouldn't be dead.

• 1 month ago

No way ho shay no way San Jose’s

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Argument is moot because he has already shot you. If you think a gunshot is 'in trouble.'

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes you would. Better have it on film, witnesses.

Best Not to resist unless you are sure your life in danger--rogue cop law. Get a lawyer, fight it In Court., Those who resist, even rightly, might get it for assault of officer, resisting arrest.

I note that escape from prison gets another 2 years on sentence. Even if that person wins appeal from original sentence, they can't appeal the escape charge. Similar situation.

• God
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the US right or wrong the police are right.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my state, you are allowed to defend yourself against any unlawful attack, even a police officer. Proving it could be quite difficult, though.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

The less resistance, the better the jury will see it. If back injured , might be awarded $$$$..

• 1 month ago

You have a low opinion of law enforcement. I suggest you stay away from them. [The best way is to not commit a crime.]

• 1 month ago

Not if you were defending yourself.

• 1 month ago

Depends on why you were arrested in the first place

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.