Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How to disinfect a dog after they eat a meal from a raw diet?

I’m looking into changing my dogs diet to a raw diet. I’ve been reading up on benefits and the germs of raw food seem to be a big con in the raw diet. I am aware of how to properly clean all the household items (food storage, food prep area, etc.) but my concern is how to clean your dogs mouth after? Is there a proper or certain way to minimize the spread of bacteria from their mouth? Like if they were to lick something or chew on their toys. 

You don't and everything will be fine.

Did you know kibble contains bacteria too?

Don’t let the dog lick you fro half hour minimum

I discourage licking entirely.

Wash the bowls.

There is no reason to do this. A raw diet is a clean diet. You are not feeding the dog rotten meat. The dogs mouth will be as clean as it will ever be.

If you fed rotten food that would make a difference but you don't feed rotten meant. You know exactly what the dog eats & it is all healthy & better for the dog.

There is a lot of pros & cons about feeding raw but in the long run if you do it right it is best for your dog & his mouth will be healthier than a dog that eats regular kibbles.

Never a need to disinfect a dog mouth for any reason. Where did you get this wild idea or thought?

You dont

There are no 'germs' you need to worry about if you properly handle the meat, wash your hands and the cutting board properly.

If you are so OCD about it then don't have any pets

• Jack H

Well, if I were you, errrm, no, I couldn't be that stupid, best just leave it...

You cannot have done much if any reading (on feeding raw) to ask such a lunatic question. You sound like a TROLL.

NO, YOU DO NOT NEED to "DISINFECT" a dog's mouth after eating RAW, any more than you would need to "disinfect" their stomach or intestinal tract.

It is {mind boggling} to me - (considering how often dogs lick their anus/ anal glands, penis or vulva as well as that of OTHER DOGS) you have no GERM CONCERNS until..... you get to a change in diet.

• Jojo

You ARE joking .......arn`t you?

If you are that concerned about the spread of germs, I suggest you don`t ever keep a dog or any other animal as a pet or even have children.

I have never heard anything so Bizarre as disinfecting a dog`s mouth after eating some raw meat.

You must suffer from serious OCD if you feel this way.

Don`t feed your dog raw meat if it`s going to make you feel so paranoid.

Jmo.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.