Shona

Can you actually sprain your thumb? Mine really hurts but I have no idea what I have done to cause it. How do I cure it?

To make matters worse it's my left one, so it makes writing quite painful... (Yes, I'm a lefty...)

Best Answer

Yes you can... you can also over work the muscles in your thumb, wrist or other parts of your hand which can cause discomfort/pain.

You do have the option of seeking a doctor's advice if it doesn't heal up in a couple weeks.

take care

This is God's way of telling you to stop butt-fingering using your thumbs.

• Stan

Could be signs of early arthritis, another stab in the dark. People a lot younger that your age (did you say 32ish?) get this terrible problem with joints.

PS.

But of course, you can sprain your thumb I've done this a few times but always known that I have sprained it.

Yes, you can sprain your thumb. Any sprain is a soft-tissue injury to a ligament. It's common in sports or if you fall & jam your thumb. It's often called "Skier's thumb". You've probably sprained it if your thumb or hand swells, especially if it bruises. You can also get it as a repetitive strain injury.

You can help yourself by using the thumb as little as possible, & applying ice to reduce pain & limit swelling. You're best served by consulting a doctor. You may need a splint or cast, or to have it taped up.

• Killmouseky
      4 weeks agoReport

Oh. correction: Is it now THREE exceedingly STUPID people, or an epidemic of thumb sprains? .

Extensive writing will hurt your hand

• Shona
      4 weeks agoReport

I cannot mark undergrads' assignments using a computer though...