Miss Aries0325 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I don't want my dog in a dog bench!?

Hello, I used to have a small dog with my ex, but the dog it's his so he got to keep it. Yesterday I went to visit the dog and I saw a dog bench. 

So my ex told me, the dog sleeps in it and when he leaves the house she also stays in the dog bench. The dog is two years old, still playful yes, but she doesn't bite on the furniture, cables etc. So I don't think this is necessary.

I feel so powerless because I love the dog, we raised it as a puppy, which I did most of the whole work back then, so I have an emotional connection with the dog and it is frustrating seeing her in the bench with no water or space to move. Just her toys and her bed.

According to him, she needs structure but maybe it's just him due to his autism.

Please advice me what to do because it hurts me a lot seeing my dog like this.

Thanks!

It isnt your dog. Its HIS dog

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a dog staying in a crate for a few hours while he's at work or running errands. By no means should she be in there for longer than 6-8 hours ideally, but crate training is good for dogs and keeps them from being panicked in a situation where they NEED to be crated.

I used to have roommates that kept their rabbit in a 1 ft x 3 ft cage ALL the time, their cat locked in their bedroom, and their 3 dogs in crates literally 18-20 hours a day. Most days they dogs would only be out of their cages for an hour or two. I did and do NOT agree with that at all; that's an example of animal cruelty and abuse.

• The dog stays like more than 8 hours a day while he sleeps and he works part-time so like 6 hours on top of that. Thank you so much for your example knowing I'm not the only one who felt powerless seeing this kind of abuse.

Buy the dog from him and find it a home with someone who knows how to properly care for a dog.

He doesn't know enough about dogs to know what the dog needs. It is something stuck in his mind that is supposed to be a certain way & he sees no other options.

I have never heard of a dog bench before so I learned something new today, thank you.

Google 'exercise pens for dogs', click images up at the top & check out all the different sizes, shapes, a wide variety. You can probably get one through PetSmart or PetCo or order online.

Go back up & click all & check out the stores that see them. Portable, any size, any height, all kinds of materials to choose from, folds up out of the way. This will keep the dog safe & she could have lots more room to move when no one is home.

Do you get to take the dog for any period of time? If so you could use the exercise pen at your home.

I think it is a great option, pose it to him & hopefully he'll accept the idea.

so? Its not your dog. You have no right to say what can and can't happen tot he dog. You dumped the dog and the owner wants to keep the dog in a cage like a lazy person then there's nothing you can do

• Star_of_Darkness
      1 month agoReport

Not your dog so there is nothing you can do. AC will do nothing since its not illegal to keep a dog in a cage so there's nothing you can do

• Tony

So cages got renamed 'crates' and now they've been renamed 'benches'? People who feel the need to keep a dog in a cage in their home should not have dogs. I understand your frustration - I think one of your few options is to express your anger/annoyance at the situation, and if your own living circumstances permit you could offer to take the dog for a number of days each week. If you were able to take the dog full time, then taking it for short stays might be enough to make him realise he wants to give it up completely. Whatever you think his bond is with the dog, his resorting to caging it while he is out demonstrates that he doesn't have proper respect for it.

• Hi! Yes crates I meant! Sorry I'm from the Netherlands and we still call it benches. He doesn't let me to take the dog for even the weekend. Just for a 30 min walk. I totally agree with you and I will call the animal police here to see what they can do. Thank you so much for your opinion.

When I googled dog bench (having NEVER heard the term in over 40 years in dogs) I only get picture or plans, for making a REAL bench to sit on. perhaps you mean a CRATE, instead.

While not ideal, unless you can suggest coming by to walk the dog (while he is working, or can hire a dog walker) or would be willing to help pay for a day creche (aka doggie day care) for more exercise during the day, then the dog which is 100% HIS (as you say) is stuck.

• Star_of_Darkness
      1 month agoReport

Not your dog. Nothing you can do and the so called animal cops can do nothing since its not illegal to keep a dog in a cage. Not your dog, mind your own business

• Maxi

As you say your USED to have a dog, it is your ex dog, it lives with him, he makes the rules and you can do nothing

• Star_of_Darkness
      1 month agoReport