Taku asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What should we say except for 'Have a nice day' after a disaster?

Hi, I'm Japanese learning English.

We experienced a great typhoon last week and I’m not sure if it’s good to say ‘Have a nice day!’ in this situation.

Is it all right?

If not, what should we say?

You should say: "What happened to you was terrible! I am very sorry for your misfortune!"

Do not ever, ever, say "Have a nice day" to someone who has suffered a disaster, whether it be great or small. That is a very tactless expression to use.

• John P

I an British, and in general many British people do not wish each other "Have a nice day" under any circumstances.

Personally I can think of nothing worse than hearing "Have a nice day" after some disaster had happened to me. To me it is one of those insincere expressions which Americans trot out on many occasions without thinking of their effects on the listener.

• RE
      1 month agoReport

For he himself has said it, and it's greatly to his credit, ... in spite of all temptations to belong to other nations ... he's still British !

I suspect you're joking. If you're not joking, it would be considered a cruel and heartless thing to say after a disaster, as if it was of no importance and life could go on as usual. You could say "I'm very sorry to hear about it" "That was terrible" or even "Is there anything I can do to help?" Most people would avoid the last of those.

Be well.

• Henry

People forget quickly on Twitter.

"Have a nice day"  is a meaningless Americanism that unfortunately has spread around the world. You should avoid at all costs, it is always insincere.