Anonymous

if math is too hard should I give up?

I'm studying e engineering and most of the time in class I have a hard time understanding things while the majority of students get it much faster. With a good private explanation I usually understand well but is not possible to have one every time for every subject and sometimes I feel very stupid and embarrased if I can't do excersises in group with other students. Right now I'm very frustrated by the amount of things that I have to get done I've been watching some videos but that takes a loooot of time and is very boring I'm fed up and reading a page of a calculus book can take also a lot just for one misaerable page... So.. should I drop out and study something different?

You would get a better idea about your strengths and weaknesses if you went for an aptitude test administered by the guidance office. As others have said, if math is your weakness, being an engineer is not a job for you.

• drip

First talk to your math teacher and your college adviser,

If you are a freshman and this is calculus 1, then you do need to reevaluate your major. You will be taking a lot of math and it is only going to get harder.

Most engineering majors fly though calculus 1 with ease.

• Daniel

If you are struggling that much with what sounds like Calc I, then you should probably reassess your goals.  You are looking at taking at least 3 more calculus classes for an engineering major.  You also are going to have to apply those concepts in your engineering classes.  

Sit down with an advisor and your professor to assess what your problems might be and what they think about your ability to succeed in higher level math classes.

No never- As you say, math needs understanding That's it, When you do something, with your heart that you want to do better in it. You have the will to succeed. Use it. I can tell you one thing, me doing well in math was only because of daily Practice.

I never listen to my teachers. Because math's is the crucial subject and everyone should practicing it because practice makes student perfect! Maybe your teachers had a similar experience and they thought of dropping math so they did. If you need counselling then I must recommend you MyAssignmentServices.com, they have a team of experts who are well skilled in giving the guidance to the students.

Clearly you are in the wrong program for you. You need to properly assess your talents, abilities, skills, interests, personality & character traits. What made you choose engineering? You did not realistically evaluate your strengths & weaknesses. Get out of engineering. It's not for you!

Maybe the other students have tutors?

If you are struggle with first year calculus, then maybe you should pick a different major. First year calculus is supposed to be the easiest math in university.