Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

I’m 16 and need a lawyer for emancipation, what could I possibly do?

I really don’t know how I’m going to do this and need some help.

7 Answers

  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Emancipation laws vary by state. Try an internet search using the word "emancipation" and your state.

    The general rule is you need to be mature enough to make life decisions and make enough money to support yourself. Living with someone else will not qualify.

  • 1 month ago

    If you cannot even figure out how to do it, then you really are not ready to be emancipated.

  • 1 month ago

    Short answer: THE #1 requirement for emancipation is showing you are ALREADY effectively independent.

    Expecting help finding a lawyer in an unnamed jurisdiction demonstrate you DO NOT qualify.

  • 1 month ago



    I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander.

    During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union.

    I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You have to call Legal Aid in your town and see if they can help you. If you can't find anyone, look under child abuse attorneys in your town, and call one.

  • Tom V
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    I will leave you with a quote from Mark Twain. "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." If you are being abused, call the police. If you aren't, just wait a while.

  • 1 month ago

    One of the stipulations of emancipation is that you be financially able to support yourself. You appear not to be able to do that. Wait until your turn 18, then leave.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.