can I use a land line?

I have a landline plugin in my room and some of the cables. I was wondering if I were to plug in a landline phone would it work, what would I need to do to get it to work. just curious and thought I d be neat to try

You first have to have service in your room in order for it to work. Unless you really want a traditional land line for whatever reason, you're better off going with a VOIP provider like Magic Jack as Jim Moor mentions or Vonage. Its much cheaper than what a local telco can probably offer.

For instance, with AT&T, the cheapest phone only plan (traditional landline not digital phone service) in my area costs $24.25/month for local calling only.

You could call the Phone Company local to you, and pay for a land line to be installed. Prob $75 install and $25/month

Or instead get a MagicJack (or equiv) and attach to phone line, then you can use a landline style phone on another jack. About $40 to buy and $12/year!

Plus you get messages as emails.