Mercedes Benz is billed as a luxury car in the U.S. Why?

In other countries MB is a common car even buses, trash trucks etc. MB U.S. is it just a fantastic marketing ploy?

when you compare Most American cars with an MB it is a Luxury car

I would never own a GM Ford Chrysler or Jeep but my Mercedes Benz 230e from ebay for $1000 was a great Buy spent another $1000 to get her to run right and sold it to the wreckers after 10 years because of Rust where it was damaged Hidden under the Trim on the door sill

great car and a great runner 2000 for 10 years Value for money

My neighbours had a Ford Falcon blew up the Computer cost to replace $1500 the car went to the Tip

the last Luxury cars built in the UAS was the cord or the Dusemburg

Marketing, pure marketing. In Germany the Mercedes is more like the old Chevy Impala. But when they send it to the USA they add a lot of stuff like leather seats to jack up the price. Kind of like diamonds, not really worth what they get sold for but you still find people willing to spend the money.

Mercedes Benz offers a wide range of vehicles, including SUV, MPV, Van, Coupe and more. And the prices are varied. It truly belong to luxury car brand.

• zipper

Because it is a Luxury car, that's why and Mercedes sells them as such.

They can be very expensive.

• Jay P

Mercedes Benz offers all sorts of vehicles in other parts of the world at varying price points but in North America, they traditionally only had the top end models available and most of them were fully loaded.

That is changing though as MBUSA ( the distributor of Mercedes vehicles in the US ) brought in the CLA a few years ago and more recently, the A-Class to cater to a lower price-point or the near-luxury segment. But the CLA and A offered in the US are still more or less the top of the line versions. For example, elsewhere in the world you have a variety of engines offered ( both in displacement and choice of gas or diesel ) but in the US, you can only get the 2.0L turbo gasoline ( and AMG versions )

I used to think of a Merc as a good car but in the UK they used Wayne Rooney to promote the brand so it became a chav car. Then I laugh when Audi passes itself off as a luxury brand. People say BMW is crap and chavvy but you'd not have that opinion if you have drove one, I have. Even an old beamer is great, a 1996 BMW is better than a brand new Ford.

You are right. In the Greek Islands all the taxis are MBs. But they are the low end basic models. I expect the versions in the US are mostly top of the range.

Yes, it's marketing. They want to keep a certain niche in the US car market so they only sell certain models at certain price points here.