how come foreigners or tourists in use don't tip well?

work in the service industry, a lot of europeans, asians, and Latin Americans don't tip well compared to home grown people from the u.s.a

why is this?? are they more selfish

typo, not use I meant usa

• Because you are a fvcking scumbag, moron

As others have said, some foreign countries consider it an insult to tip them. They perceive it as you saying they need the extra money.

A tip is a reward, there's nothing selfish about not tipping ... Blame the employers for being cheap with wages.

• Zirp

Because in our countries, it's illegal for employers to pay waiters less than the legal minimumwage.

We assume that the price for the service is included in the price of the food

• leslie4 weeks agoReport

waiters in the u.s don't get paid less than minimum wage

In UK servers are paid a decent wage so tipping is just a bit extra for good service. In the US, servers make like 2 dollars an hour or something, which some people from other countries don't know, so they think it's the same as wherever they're from. They should be educated about it. They should tip properly. The same people would probably complain if someone from the US came to their country and didn't follow the customs. And some are just cheaparses like some of the answers here and don't care what happens to the person who's waiting their table so long as they can keep their couple of dollars in their pocket. Those people are just nasty in general tho so there's not much you can do but hope karma gets them (or a less scrupulous server by way of some extra 'mayonnaise' on their food or some such thing). I tip appropriately and so do the rest of my family whenever we are in the US.

• brother_in_magic
      4 weeks agoReport

Haha, Wendell's a triggered snowflake because he knows, with his bad language and bad grammar, he's destined for McDonald's.

Tipping is not required in any civilised country. It is a third world practice. If tipping is required it means that employers are not paying adequate wages and that the workers are unable to get them to pay. 

In Australia most workers have their wages controlled by an award that has been agreed upon by management and the unions. If there is no award for a particular industry, there is a basic wage that must be paid. This, for a casual worker, is about $21 an hour. There are penalty rates for overtime, working on Sundays and public holidays and for working outside normal hours. Permanent employees get a slightly lower hourly rate but they get paid sick leave, four weeks paid holidays a year, long service leave (paid) and all workers get paid superannuation. If you want to tip someone for exceptional service, you can, but there is no requirement to do so.

I was never tipped for doing the work I was paid to do in over forty years of working, why should I tip someone for doing the work they are paid to do? if the pay is inadequate, that is something they should take up with their employers with the help of their union. It should not be up to customers to make up any shortfall. Refuse to tip and the system will change but Americans don't have the guts to do it.

• C

Because they honestly don't understand how the US service industry works. There should be an explanation on the landing cards handed out on planes so that everyone truly understands that there is no country except for the US where the minimum wage in restaurants is less than elsewhere and wait staff are taxed as if they've been tipped regardless so by not tipping you're effectively costing waitstaff. If you explain it to a foreigner they have trouble believing how badly waitstaff are paid and how reliant they are on tips, it just doesn't compute because it would be illegal to conduct business like that in most other countries.

Elsewhere restaurant owners are expected to take full wage costs into consideration when they set their prices. Some countries do tip, but it's considered a nice extra to show appreciation so it's token amounts, other countries have no tipping culture at all. Some countries practice a weird hybrid where restaurant owners are allowed to take the tips and offset them against their wage costs, so staff effectively get nothing extra. In those cases patrons don't like to tip at all in order to discourage the owners from doing this.

Another more minor point is that what is considered good service in the US is often experienced as pushy, intrusive and unpleasant by visitors from other countries making them disinclined to tip as a thank you, especially if they don't understand how wait staff minimum wage works. You have to careful with this aspect because some tourists do like the full on, overly-friendly American style as part of getting the full tourist experience. Others hate it but have to eat at some point and dread it. It's the flipside to Americans going "to Europe" and finding service rude due to differing expectations.

Tipping in restaurants is a very terrible system. Restaurants should pay enough to their staff so that they don't need to rely on tips from customers. Many advanced countries around the world like France or Japan do not need to tip, which is good.

• Greg

They are not more selfish. It is not customary in their countries to tip so much. In Japan it is RUDE to tip. In Europe the service industry workers are paid more and so tipped less.

Because they do not tip in those countries. They shouldn't do it here either. No one owes you anything. I am supposed to pay you what your employer should? GTFOH, it's not like you are cooking the food or doing anything but walking it over to the table something I would do myself if I could. I am not allowed to do that but I am supposed to pay you for doing it.

• Tut4 weeks agoReport

A coward AND a cheap-@rse! I'll bet you've eaten a lot of nasty extra special things in your food with that attitude. And deserved every delicious drip. Only the scummiest scum don't tip. And really poor low class people.