Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Coolant fluid help?????

My mom drives a 2009 nissan murano.  I noticed that for coolant reservoir is empty,  what should I do?? should I just fill it up with coolant???   Someone told me to never fill up the resevoir..... I dont knoow much about coolant.....help

8 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your radiator has a cap, then take it off when the engine is cool. It should be full right to the cap. If it's not then fill the radiator first. Then fill the reservoir to the cold line.

You seem to have a leak somewhere. Find it and get the cause repaired.

You need to use the proper antifreeze. There are several types. You also need to pay attention whether it is "premixed" (50-50) or "straight" (pure antifreeze needs to be mixed 50-50 with water).

A coolant leak is bad. Get it fixed right away. Check the coolant level every day. Keep it filled up. If the engine overheats, it could incur expensive damage.

If the engine overheats while driving, your mother needs to pull off the road immediately and shut the engine off. Trying to get home by driving it overheated can make very expensive engine damage.

Watch the coolant temperature gauge if there is one. Otherwise, a light on the instrument panel will light up.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• 1 month ago

Fill to the "full cold" line, Check regularly. Whenever you turn the car off, and it cools down, coolant will be sucked into the radiator, so you may have to fill it again for a few days. If this continues, then coolant is escaping somewhere.

• 1 month ago

The reservoir can be used to fill the system with coolant. Each vehicle has recommendations in the owner's manual. You may want to read that first. If the engine is cold when you looked, you can probably add a little if the reservoir has cold and hot liquid level lines.

• 1 month ago

When the motor is cold take the radiator cap off to make sure the radiator is full of coolant.

If it's low you have a coolant leak and need to go to a mechanic to get the leak fixed.

All Nissan's need a special tool called a vacuum fill tool.to fill the radiator properly. "Airlift" is a popular brand of vacuum fill tools. If the radiator is low of coolant you may be over heating the motor and not knowing it so go to a mechanic right away!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Refill the reservoir with premixed coolant labelled 'universal'. Then check the level each week for a while in case there is a leak.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First, make sure you're using the right kind of coolant, they come in different colors. If you go to any auto parts store, and give them the year, make and model of your car, they will tell you the right kind to use. You can buy 50/50 coolant mixed with water, and it's more convenient, but if you want to save money, buy pure coolant and then buy a gallon of distilled water at the market and mix them together.

Then you look at your radiator and make sure it is full. Take off the cap (do this when it is cold). Can you see any fluid, or do you just see air? Make sure it's full, then fill the reservoir up to the line that says full (about halfway). After that, just drive it normally. Wait until it cools down, and then check it again. If the radiator is full and the coolant is at the full line, it should be OK. If there's a lot missing, there could be a problem. Take it to a mechanic.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

First you have to get the right type of coolant or you could plug up the cooling system. Read the owners manual.

Now with engine cooled off open the radiator cap and see if the level is low. Also make note of what the coolant looks like. Also find out when the coolant was changed last .

But to answer your question yes you can fill up the reservoir but not full.just a 1/4 but again with right type of coolant .

When the engine is warmed up the coolant will overflow into the reservoir so you don’t want fill too much coolant into the reservoir

• abby
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes fill it up with coolant / antifreeze . whoever told you not to was a jerk .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.