Please somebody tell me how to use the word “meaning.”?

Letters should be written clearly so that the readers can understand what you have in mind.

Can I use the words “its meaning” instead of using “what you have in mind”?  I want the sentence to have the meaning of “the contents of the letter”, not “the meaning of existence of the letter.”

Thank you very much for giving me this many answers. I am so happy.

I asked you about this question because an English composition book for Japanese students says you cannot write “Letters should be written clearly so that the readers can understand the meaning of the letter” because “the meaning of the letter” means “the meaning of existence of the letter” , not “what you have in mind” or “what you want to say.” I thought “the meaning of the letter” was correct expression, so I asked you.

You may find it easier to use the words "In other words ..." to explain your "meaning." That leaves the reader open to the thought there may be more than one example (of meaning) you could give too. That helps if you use language that is more agreeable to the reader's understanding.

Letters should be written clearly meaning (so that) the readers can understand what you have in mind.

• John P

The sentence starting "Letters should....." and ending "....have in mind" does in no way question the existence of the letters you are writing about. It states fully that people writing letters should write them in good clear language so that they can be understood.

Is that what you wanted to be confirmed? If not then please get help from somebody who is a native speaker of good British or American English to help you write your question.

You could say,

Letters should be written clearly, in a way that can be understood by the reader.

or

Letters should be written clearly, so their meaning is not lost on the reader.

Letters should be written clearly, so that their meaning is understood by the reader.

you would need to say "intended meaning". The idea is that the person is trying to give a meaning to the reader. If not well written, the wrong meaning can be received.

• JOHN

Letters should be written clearly so that there is no misunderstanding their meaning.

The word meaning has so many different definitions. The lady gave her heart meaningless vibrations when the man kissed her for she did not know him. She felt nothing. Opposite of when people kiss and they feel meaning. A good feeling. Feel like it leads them from being casual friends to bedmates. Lovers. 2. A sign that is yellow means caution. 3. A dream about being chased means you have fears in your personal outlook of life. 4. The purpose of living means having a family and continuing the human species the youth and joys of the world. 5. Just becausw you hear something doesnt mean that is what they intended to dish out or lash out upon you.

You can.

But instead of using "its meaning", try something else to clearly explain that you are referring to the meaning of the letter. For example:

"Letters should be written clearly so that the readers can understand their meaning"

or

"Letters should be written clearly so that readers can easily understand the meaning"

If you want to keep it as "its meaning", I don't think that would be completely wrong either, as I'm sure that native speakers would understand that you are referring to the letters.

• oikoσ

Kudos for knowing that "its", in this usage, takes no apostrophe. They get taken back because "its" requires a singular antecedent and the reference is to "letters", which is plural. Otherwise, it's (contraction of "it is" and referring to your proposed sentence, not a possessive) fine. I doubt that anyone would assume that the reference is to the readers.

i dont see why not

You shouldn't use "its meaning" since the referent of "it" hasn't been named yet.

(Is "it" the letters or the readers?)

You might use "letters should be written clearly so that the meaning can be easily read".