Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 month ago

Unpopular opinion...?

The quote: “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem” is a silly saying and over generalizes the issues that people across the world can have. Some people’s problems are permanent, such as the death of a family member or what if they lose a limb and become disabled or what if their fiancé stole all their money and moved to another continent? 

I think depression can be an unending or permanent mental condition for some people.

So I don't agree with the quote.

Thanks so so many good friends 👫

that might be true but people can learn to live with those problems

• gabriele1 month agoReport

But it should be the persons choice on whether they spend the time to learn

Losing a family member to death is just part of the human condition. If everyone who lost a family member committed suicide, there would be damn few people left on earth. Most people who lose a limb manage to adapt, although I suppose there are some disabilities that really would make life not worth living. If my finace' stole all my money and moved away, that's not a permanent problem -- I'd be glad she was gone, and I could (and many people who lose their money do) just start over and make some more money.

Your examples kind of suck. There are plenty of examples you could use, but none of the ones you gave amount to suicide-worthy "permanent problems."

• gabriele1 month agoReport

Jesus Christ what happened to empathy? I bet you’re one of those people who reject physician assisted suicide to terminally ill patients.

• actually i agree with you. even if its someone who is a really talented singer but too popular to the point theyre stuck with that with their entire life, so it puts a lot of pressure on them (Hideto Matsumoto's life) but Hideto killed himself with a towel around his neck that he tied to a doorknob, which lots of people copied his suicide, mostly 13-20 year old people but even if they didnt have problems in their life. im saying if you actually have a problem, it might not be that big of a deal if youre actually suffering and genuinely want your life to end, if you're taking suicide as a joke and just copying how someone else died, then it actually should be a big deal if there's nothing going on in your life

• oikoσ

While the death of a family member is permanent, your reaction to it can change. When my mother died, my uncle (her brother), who had lost his mother at the same young age, told me, "You never forget but the pain becomes duller in time." That has helped me through other losses and I was able to pass it along to HIS offspring when HE died. Similarly, you can learn to compensate for the loss of a limb and you can make more money.

• Damien

yes its a dumb quote, the quote should be "no point killing yourself cause death will come to you on its own eventually one day, so till then, enjoy and focus on the good u have over the bad."

• L

Sometimes it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Other times the problem may be permanent as you pointed out. Sometimes however, the problem may be permanent but things may change in the future to make it more bearable. Other times not.