Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

What happens if someone takes your deer?

What happens if you shoot a deer and it runs and you wait to track it but someone else takes your deer before you can recover it?

• Mr.357

I don't know that it is your deer until you take possession of it and put your tag on it.

You end up with no deer.

• David

Take it to the divorce court.

• BBean

Where or what gave you or anyone the ownership of a deer? The state owns the game animals and the hunting tag gives you permission to harvest...the question of whom harvested is governed by ethics...just like someone beating you to a parking place...or proceeding in order from a 4-way stop intersection. Unwritten ethics reflect your character vs other`s and an argument over a questionable deer with each person with a rifle is best avoided. A calm explanation may be the best for both to work out but if someone tags the deer before you arrive then I would suggest go look for another. The other person most likely shot the wounded deer in good faith so next chance... aim for a more lethal area and use ballistic tipped ammo to stop the animal closer to your position.<

• BBean
      1 month agoReport

Yes, I agree. Some people let their own selfish principles and self acquired ethics end up costing more than just a deer. I live in an area where seeing deer is an everyday occurance and often pest and to think of risking life or jail over principle? Not me, I hope to be wiser than that.

Then you wasted a bullet.

Back in my day, there was a bit of honor among hunters.

• Richard
      1 month agoReport

I totally agree. There was honor and respect among hunters.

In a perfect world what cuckoo said it true but not as easy as it sounds.

Cuckoo must not hunt much.

• L.N.

Then you'll have to make other arrangements for dinner.

then they probably get the deer

• BOBBER

It can be a tough call. I had that happen a few years ago. I shot a buck on the other side of a creek, I went around and came up the other side and a guy said he shot it and took it. I have had other times when I found a freshly shot deer and waited for the hunter and helped him get it out. It does not happen often, but it is not worth getting into a fight over,

• oikoσ

It belongs to whoever kills it.