Nick asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What is the safest military branch to join?

"By safest" I mean the least chance of having to go out and carry a rifle and kill the enemy or the enemy trying to kill me, or having to deploy and fight overseas with a rifle and camping in the dirt.

It has been 3 years since I have graduated high school, and I am really struggling to live out here in the civilian world so I want to enlist and have the military take care of me. I acknowledge that enlisting into the military, no matter the branch, is still dangerous but I want to know which branch is the safest. 

Best Answer

I assume your talking about Active duty, so I going to say either the Air Force or Coast Guard. Judging from your question the coast guard would be the perfect fit for you because they don't deploy overseas unless it is a draft or war like Vietnam so petty much if they really need you. You will then be partnered up with the navy and battle on land. The Air Force is the next safest branch behind the coast guard. Only reason I would recommend them is because they have the best living standards out of all the 5 branches better food, housing, accommodation, etc. Plus being in the AF is almost like having a civilian job, good luck and best of wishes of which branch you end up choosing.

• RICK
      1 month agoReport

Tell thst to the Coast Guard members stationed on Okinawa, the Marianas islands, or few other places
      And because of their job chasing drug dealers the Coast Guard is considered the lmost dangerous service during peace time

The Coast Guard.  Don't say the Air Force, I was Air Force and was on ambush with the 101st Airborne in Nam for 10 months.  We trained and fought side by side with them 100%.

• Zack
      1 month agoReport

The AF experienced a lot of combat back then, but what about today?

Air Force......

Source(s): Vet 93-97
  • Zirp

Coast Guard, obviously

• armouror
      1 month agoReport

they did Patrols in the Persian Gulf off the Coast of Kuwait

• Zack

I believe the branch that experiences the least amount of combat is the Air Force.

However, the job you choose is the main thing that determines the safety, not the branch.

• Coast Guard? The Air Force has Special Tactics operators with extensive combat experience since the Vietnam War.

Both the air Force and the Navy are military branches where you'll probably never have to run on land into a fight.

• RICK
      1 month agoReport

Tell that lie to
      Navy Seals
      Navy SeaBees or
      Navy Corpsmen who serve ith the Marines

• Mrsjvb

Stay civilian. Long gone are the days where the non com poops( bonus points if you get the reference) are safe from the bad guys trying to kill them.

• Kyle

the military has hundreds of jobs that aren't all combat or infantry related. each branch has their own jobs as well. so you'd have to look on each site yourself and see what's listed. but you'll only qualify for certain jobs depending on your ASVAB line scores, if the job is in demand, and other qualifications needed, like security clearance. a recruiter will have more info on the job selection process.

you can see EVERY job they have on their sites. so go looking around. you can still be sent overseas. but that doesn't always mean deployment.

i dont think any of them are safe to be honest

If you don't want to go into combat, YOU don't belong in ANY branch of ANY military.

There is a reason why the Air Force is jokingly called the "Chair Force."

• armouror
      1 month agoReport

there are No Chairs on the Flight line i never got a chair or an office until i was a warrant officer there is no sitting down doing IED