Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 4 weeks ago

Legitimate resources for volunteering abroad?

I really want to volunteer abroad, but I don’t know how to do it in a legitimate way? Most programs are said to go through sketchy travel agencies that turn volunteerism into “voluntourism” that takes jobs away from locals or is just absurdly unorganized to the point where there is no work for the volunteers to complete. People say to go through the programs directly but how? When I look up things like “volunteer programs in Nepal” all that comes up are sketchy travel agencies. If there’s no way to do it in a truly helpful way then I guess I won’t do it at all.

• In
    4 days ago

Try a church ministry or the Peace Corps. Other less reputable organizations might cost you money to volunteer, or you might become a victim of white slavery.

Try your local Salvation Army for a referral.

• Kyle

you can consider joining the military. you can serve your country and have the chance to be overseas with numerous local volunteering opportunities as well. the military has hundreds of jobs that aren't all combat or infantry related. plenty can find good jobs with the training and experience without needing a college degree too when your service is done.

• In
      4 days agoReport

Travel to foreign lands, meet new people, then kill them.  =)