book idea: 100 non-cliche life lessons to live by. i really want to write this book but Ifeel like it might be an overused concept. thoughts?

each lesson would have an explanation

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you feel compelled to do this, do it. I am helping a gentleman compile one from years of journal entries so that he has something to pass on to his kids. It never hurts a writer to write, no matter the reason—it can be a great way to hone your skills and can be therapeutic in the process.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are so many of those books.

This suggestion would not be worth the cost of paper, but it might be an interesting "observing and reporting" exercise for you to write.

Read a few of those books. Live a selection of those life-lessons for a year. Observe what happens and write down if they were worthwhile for you and what they taught you.

• 1 month ago

If you really want to write it, why aren't you just getting on with it? Obviously you're aware this has been done many times before, so I'm assuming you have reason to believe YOURS will introduce something new to the mix.

If you aren't sure of that, just write it for yourself but don't weigh yourself down worrying whether it's publishable or not.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You'd probably benefit by writing a paragraph on each of 100 life lessons, and showing your family and friends, and then writing more on each life lesson.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My thoughts are that it's unlikely that any book you may write might be more informative or insightful than the many that are already in existence. If you feel compelled to compile lists of life lessons complete with examples and explanations, have at it, but I can't see why anybody would pick yours when there are well-known titles that sell quite well and have been doing so for years. Some of these books were written by people who possess some sort of qualification that might make them an authority on the subject, such as having raised children or obtaining a degree in sociology. What are you bringing to the table aside from your ability to study the work of authors who have written on this subject before and your own observational abilities? None whatsoever. It would be a waste of time, effort, and paper, but do as you like.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you want to write the book, by all means write it.

• 1 month ago

If they're really not cliches, then I don't think you could call it "overused."

• 1 month ago

All writers feel and have felt that way, get busy Milkshakes.

• 1 month ago

Good idea.... But what's going to be your USP, distinguishing it from all the others out there?

(just came across one called "The Forgetful Gentleman", and it's brilliant in how it sets things out)

• 1 month ago

Books kill trees. Tree lives matter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.