10W30 is heavier than 0W20.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Heavier?

You must mean thicker.

More viscous.

10W30 is thicker.

• 1 month ago

Their densities are practically identical, so what they weigh is negligible when it comes to your automobile. I would be more worried about their relative viscosities.

• 1 month ago

10w30w is heavier. Always use the factory recommended weight oil.

Heavier weight oil does not stop oil leaks from leaking.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They both weigh the same. 10W-30 is more viscous.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They are the same 10W base oil, one is modified with 20W chemical viscus modifiers and the other 30W.

Since they're the same 10W base, nether are heaver viscosity. The viscus modifiers stretch when heated.

When chemical viscus modifiers stretch long under heating, the 10W base oil can adapt thicker when hot.

• 1 month ago

10w 30. I have no idea what 0w 20 would be used in but I'm certainly not putting it in my automobile

• Rolomatic
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

0W-30 is often used mostly in the polar arctic AL-Can regions and all small air cooled snow blower engines use 5W30 oil when used in extreme cold winter environments. If your engine specifies an oil service chart, you do what they say. You don't want the main gen set dying in Barrow AK at -37F.

• 1 month ago

10W30 is the thicker oil.

The code relates to how fast a specified quantity of the oil will flow trough a hole of specified dimension.

A 30 oil would pass through that hole in 30 seconds. But in the case of multigrade, it is chemically balanced when cold to behave like an ordinary oil that would pass in 10 seconds when warm; thus it would flow better than normal if cold, ensuring a more even lubricating capability when cold or warm.

0W20 is therefore more fluid, because it would flow through the metering hole in 20 seconds instead of 30, and flow as well cold as a completely fantasy oil that would otherwise flow in 0 second when warm.

• don r
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

10w30 is consistently more viscus than 0w20

• 1 month ago

10w30 is heavier. Usually used in colder climate areas

• Vincent G
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Heavier oil is used in *warmer*  conditions. That is what the W mean: winter. Oil behaves like 10 in winter and 30 in warm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.