Why do morning people think their sleep schedule is some sort of hard-work ethic virtue?

I work irregular schedules. I work for a university and can choose my class times for the most part. When someone asks me to do something 9am or earlier, it feels like such a huge inconvenience for me and I feel hungover the entire day (despite not drinking). Other people wake up early and say it makes them feel more productive- I am the opposite.

But sometimes I feel judged for always choosing the late shifts. Almost like it is viewed as some sort of virtue to be up and at it at 7am? How exactly am I lazy for sleeping in till 1pm if I still do my work , but I prefer to do it at night when everyone else is sleeping?

I grade papers at night, etc. I absolutely cannot stand mornings- and is actually part of the reason I don't want a "regular" job where I'd be required to be at work at 8 or 9am daily.

Actually, there are many "regular" jobs that work second and third shifts.

I have worked every shift I have ever heard of; days, second shift, third shift, swinging shifts, rotating shifts, and even several 24+hour shifts.

I am naturally a morning person, but I also enjoyed not using an alarm when working second shift.

Just get onto a shift that suits your needs and ignore others that want to judge you for your choice.

Because that the effect of an over-capitalist society..people like to fit in.

You go with what works for you. and don`t worry...there are a lot exactly like you . e g..me :)

• JASON

My boss said something like that a while back. I roll in to work about ten, and the early birds are leaving at three. They don't realise I stay until half past six.

• Why you think yours is superior to anyone else's? Shouldn't people do what works for them, like you just ranted about doing?

• James1 month agoReport

Yes- but people make negative comments about night people

What pisses me off is them thinking I am an early morning person, and waking me up but they quickly discover I am not when I have their azzes for breakfast.

You want me to read all of that while they have children dying in Africa.

What about the children

• James1 month agoReport

Ah so you have helped children in Africa today instead of reading this?