Is it color discrimination? How should I approach this? Do I need to file complaint against job?

Hi,, 

I just started a new job 2 months ago, i feel I have been subjected to some type of discrimination or harassment from co worker. I am the only darker complexion person there. 

Example- just my first week I went to draw up some medication and the co worker who was suppose be training me, she walk up to be snatched the needle out my hand and stated you can’t do that, the doctor doesn’t trust you yet. I felt angry because it was rude and aggressive too.

Example- she refuses to fully train me, she refused to allow me to escort patients, she has been grabbing paperwork out my hand when I’m escorting patient to exam room. 

Example- she passes me over and give lighter skin co workers work to do who are not qualified to do so. I notice she is very nice and free with male workers of different race. I can do the same thing it’s a problem but he or others can do it and she lets it go.

Lastly I have reported her aggressive nature with me to hr and supervisor but was told she just has a strong personality. She complains about me smelling like cigarettes but I have quit smoking and don’t smoke at work. She hasn’t been address yet and I have told her she treats be badly. Other employees believe I’m being bullied. She has record of bullying people out the door.

• Jenna
    Best Answer

I believe you are being discriminated against. You are qualified to do this job and were hired for a reason and this person is giving your tasks away which you are capable of doing. Keep a diary about what she has been doing, ask some of your workmates who state it is bullying to be witnesses and arrange an appointment with the manager to address what has been going on.

• Jenna
      1 month agoReport

You have a case, to be honest.

If this is true, the coworker just doesn't like YOU. It has nothing to do with race, or perception of race.

• I didn’t say race I said color it’s a difference in racism and colorism

First. This is YA. if you cant be honest to us what hope is there. You said and I quote:

"She complains about me smelling like cigarettes but I have quit smoking and don’t smoke at work. "

Lets say she is just making this up, trouble is you then say you quit smoking which says she is full of it but then you says you don't smoke at work.

You need to make up your mind, if you don't smoke at work that says you do say at home and if that is so you have not quit. As I say this is YA, if you cant be honest here what hope is there.

As for this person at work. You have complained to HR and clearly they are not interested or you could say, are covering it up.

That says they wont support you. I note you don't say she has used raciest rants on you so you cant use that.

I think all you can do is ride out the storm and in the end it will stop.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

Try reading your own question again, NO WHERE did you say you quit smoking a month ago. What xxx000au quoted is EVERYTHING you said about smoking and the comments about conatradicting yourself are 100% accurate.

maybe you should talk to your manager about her

I think first you should talk to the person in charge and tell him/her what's going on.

i am not sure maybe or maybe not