Is the exceeding religiosity of third world immigrants a product of culture or economic conditions?

A guy told me its a result of poverty and lack of financial blessings

I knew a guy who grew up in a refugee camp in a very poor country

He said when he was starving he felt very close to God

But now that he was in Canada and eating all this amazing food - he couldn't feel God's presence as clearly as he could before

Best Answer

Years ago, not sure about today, visited Acapulco, before drug cartels controlled it?

Met poor people and their joy in the Lord, generosity was amazing.

We sang Christian songs, and shared.

When the carnal is denied, the spiritual can flourish.

Is it still true?

• Misty

Religion does well where education fails.

• Amy

When life sucks, people want to believe that there will be divine retribution in an afterlife - that something will make amends for their suffering while those who abused them will be punished. It's very hard to convince the poor that the world simply isn't fair and there's nothing you can do about it.

Those who are comfortable have the luxury of thinking about theology without predetermining what they want the answer to be. And those who grew up comfortable often have an education.

• Prince

Religious countries tend to be poorer when compared to relatively Godless countries.

I don't think it was because of the lower economy that they are religious, I think it was effect of religions - like spirituality- less materialistic mindset - the religious cultures tend to be poorer, at least it is one of the factors.

Whereas the Godless cultures tend to be relatively more superficial and materialistic, so they would have been more money oriented and therefore richer, or at least it is one of the factors.

The superficiality from Godless cultures and spirituality from religious cultures are merging/transferring between each other because of Globalization.

It is somewhat like this I think.

I knew two guys who told me their same experiences were 100% opposite the one guy you knew.