Based on current trends, technology and challenges, what is your best guess for when humans will step foot on Mars?

Personally, Im thinking 60 more years 2079. NASA just recently outlined preparations to return to the moon to perfect the technology needed for humans to live on Mars. If this is true, it will be several decades before we see this to fruition

• Paula
    Best Answer

Current trends ??

We are still waiting for a firm date for lift-off for a manned moon mission.

Assume that happens within 10 years (2029)

And assume that all goes well

Then the earliest date for Mars ...

is 2039.

But we have no system ready for radiation protection on Mars surface or on route to and from Mars.

Nor have we got a reliable food water and air recycling system.

We need a system that is good for at least a 2 year trip -- and that is 1090% reliable.

While those 2 problems MAY be fixed by 2039, I guess that an additional decade would be required.

Making the earliest date 2049.

And that does assume that no US President "pulls the plug" on the project in between now and 2049.

We'll have to hope we have no son of Nixen, or son of Bush in the interim.

I don't think that it is a matter of having the technology. We could start building a space ship that could go to Mars right now and be there in five years. But, someone has to be willing to spend the money or we might not make it there in 500 years.

They could do it tomorrow if they really wanted

And I for one would Volunteer

Mars could do with some Dinosaurs

I think  - from the start of the program, till there's boot prints on Mars - it would take 18 to 20 years.  That would be design, construction, testing, and a mission flight.  

That's not 20 years from *now* - it's 20 years from when they would *start*... which, right now, is over the horizon.   It's going to be an expensive, difficult mission - at least, at first - and I doubt any one nation could afford it.  

Which is why I'd push for a multi-national effort - which may add about 3 to 5 years due to bureaucratic dealings. 

• John

Aside from the radiation, and I've done the arithmetic before and I won't again. The Saturn V took us to the moon and back. A mssion to Mars would require a PAYLOAD approaching the mass of the whole Saturn V. Crew of six, provisions, fuel and stuff for there and back. It would need to be built in space and we haven't even started. 100 years at least.

That's the one thing I wanted to do in life was to travel to Mars.

It will probably happen 1 year after I die

Never. Maybe the squid or raven people who will evolve after we go extinct will get there in the year 80 million or something.

All of the space agencies seem to be less enthusiastic about a manned mission to mars in trade for more deeper research, probes, rovers and such.

We will get there,just not as soon as was originally anticipated.

Mid 2030s, if not later.

• Sharon

2037 or 2038 9s my guess

I would guesstimate 50-to-75 years based on the fact that

the Mars Rovers have sent back TONS of information about the

exceptionally strong radiation that has been detected on the Martian surface.

If and/or when we make our first trip to Mars, we will have to

send radiation-proof lodging, non-perishable foods, greenhouses,

and specially designed storage facilities just to get things under way.

Technically, a Mars landing isn't even a blip on the radar yet.

And, it shouldn't be.