Knee pain relief?

I grew up as a dancer. The cartilage on the back of my knee cap is crunchy. My right knee cartilage has started to soften. I use KT tape, I am in PT, I have shoe inserts and I am taking turmeric. Some things irritate my knee more than others. Driving irritates my knee very quickly and causes swelling. At the end of a day of driving I can feel the pain through my knee, into my hip and into my back. I’m not sure if that is a nerve issue? If my knee doesn’t get better soon I am probably going to have surgery over Christmas. My dream is to be a performer and I need to be able to dance to do that. I am still looking for pain relief and I am looking into acupuncture. Does anyone have any suggestions (holistic or medical) to relieve my knee pain? Thanks so much!

See an orthopedic surgeon before it's too late.  You may have a torn meniscus or a frayed one.  A small surgery combined with PT could fix that.  You might also have any number or tendon or ligament issues that can't be diagnosed or treated without an MRI.  You might also have a pinched nerve in your back that is the cause of your radiating pain while driving.

While eating an anti-inflammatory diet and doing PT is great, those things won't fix a serious mechanical problem.