Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysHalloween · 4 months ago

When you carve a pumpkin, how long before it rots/smells?

I'm going over to my relatives house on Saturday, October 26th to take my kid cousins out for a haunted hayride.

They rarely get to carve pumpkins because their parents don't know how.

I was thinking of picking up a pumpkin on the way over, and getting there earlier so we can do that activity together before we leave.

With five days before Halloween, will the jackolantern last long enough for my relatives to put out on their porch on Halloween night, or will it be rotting by then?

Ace: Thanks a lot, I live in Virginia too, Richmond area. Hard call here sometimes, there have been Halloweens when my heat was on full blast, and other Halloweens when I could sit on my porch giving out candy while wearing shorts. It's truly the state where if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute, lol.

Favorite Answer

If you leave it outside now that it's chilly in some areas, depending where you live of course, it lasts a few weeks. I live in va so for me it lasted a bit over a month and thats cause it was chilly. if you live in a warmer area then probably less than half that time from the moment you put it outside.

A few tips can be applied to make it last longer. One is to apply petroleum jelly or vegetable oil to the inside to keep it from drying out.

https://www.womansday.com/home/decorating/a56701/h...

• audrey

If it's cool where you live, it should be fine. If it's hot, see if it will fit in the fridge for a couple days.

Make sure all the guts are removed. I would wrap and refrigerate it.

Should be in pretty good shape