Can my research question be something about music? ?

I am college. Taking comp 1 now. We are doing a research paper. The teacher required us to pick a topic. Is a musical topic a good choice like rhythm? Just curious. 

• Laurie

You are making the same mistake most high school and college students make when they try to write essays, research papers, speeches, or prepare presentations: you haven’t done any preliminary research.

You cannot write about something - in fact, you cannot even choose a decent topic - if you haven’t LEARNED anything about the topic.

You need to acquire at least 3-5 academically-acceptable resources, and then do at least 3-5 hours of study, taking notes as you go.

Then, try again. You can add more reference material later, as needed to fulfill the requirements of your paper.

This approach also avoids another common problem. I cannot tell you how many students I have had in my office, two weeks before a major paper is due, telling me that they cannot find any reference material for the topic they chose... and asking to change their topic at the last minute. If you do the preliminary research BEFORE choosing a topic, you will be assured that the reference material is indeed available.

It miht be, but that depends on exactly what the assignment is. Why don't you ask your teacher instead of random strangers who haven't seen your full assignment?

• Chris2 months agoReport

I told you the assignment. It’s a research paper. We have to choose a topic.