I have purchased a car from a local dealer, and went to DMV to pick up the tags but was told i need to pay $1359 for the sales tax.?

Welcome to the adult world were you pay sales tax on things you buy, even cars. You can't get your car registered unless you pay the tax, which means you can't drive the car until you pay the tax.

• Scott

Yes. Why does this surprise you? If you didn't pay sales tax at the dealer, then you pay it at the DMV.

• Ron

In states that have a sales tax you pay sales tax on every purchase. Are you new at this whole adult life thing?

Usually the dealer collects tax. If they did not, it must be paid. You do not have to pay it twice.

I had to collect it for every car I sold unless it was an out of state buyer. Once, a mexican refused to pay it, so I sent him to the DMV and he came back to me and paid it. (He did not know dealers have to collect it, I thought the DMV might let him pay it there because of the communication problems but they refused)

Your tax rate must be way higher than ours. Or its a very expensive car.

Ours is around 3.5%. Our sales tax is 10%, but its less on cars.

Whoever marked this answer negative is an IDIOT.

• Enigma

Yepper,it's a purchase and you need to pay your county's tax on it.