does wind really effect the seeming performance of your vehicle? how much?

I noticed the other day when it was not really windy, but "Breezy" and I think it was blowing in the opposite direction I was going as my vehicle seemed to not have much power even with giving engine plenty of acceleration.

or maybe I should check the timing belt job I got last month instead? maybe belt had become off time?

or maybe time for a "tune up"? new spark plugs, fuel filter, plug wires, and distributer cap and rotor? other?

Best Answer

Yes it does. The more "flat plate" frontal area your vehicle has, the greater the effect. My old 90hp 1960's vintage van won't go over 50 mph in a 30 mph headwind, which I've experienced many times.

So, you "think it was blowing in the opposite direction" but you don't know??? Your powers of observation must really suck. Glad I'm not you.

If the timing belt had slipped or wasn't installed properly, you'd know it because it wouldn't run smoothly, or at all. Worn or improperly gapped spark plugs, worn distributor cap and rotor, defective plug wires, weak coil , worn or clogged fuel injectors, and other things like a slipping clutch, dragging brake, or even low tire pressure can decrease performance. So can poor cylinder compression. I'd check that first, but then you're not me, you're a clueless dumbass. Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.

Have you ever run against the wind in a hurricane? Same story.

This is no different than driving at high speed. Which is why cars that go fast are shaped like an arrow not a BOX. Jets are shaped that way too so they can go fast. Hot air balloon however goes real slow.

My gas mileage drops like a rock when driving into the wind.

It's called aerodynamics . . . . you'll notice that airplanes aren't square, either.

added: 1) aerodynamics are important if you are in a race car, or do all your driving at interstate speeds - - - - I don't understand why car companies make so many "jelly bean" look-alike heaps when most of them are driven at speeds where aerodynamics don't matter: you don't have to be aerodynamic to sit bumper-to-bumper in traffic. 2) if government and car companies are successful and there will be nothing but electric cars in a few years, unless there is a quantum-leap in battery technology, we won't be traveling at highway speeds or driving long distances - what's the max range of the best electric car today - 300 miles? How many days will it take to drive cross-country at that rate? (and God-forbid you want to run the heater or AC).

AND: spark plug wires? distributor cap? rotor? I haven't had a car with any of those for 20 years !!!!