Carter asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Carbs for supplements?

Looking for carbs to add to my supplement for pre workout and post workout. For pre i want to have a performance boost and post workout carbs for recovery.

It would seem that you are one of the few body builders who has read a book on nutrition. I've seen the ignorant, deceived by supplement companies and well meaning but also ignorant athletes, insist on the benefits of extra protein. Anyone who takes the time to read a little basic human physiology will know that excess protein only makes the liver and kidneys work harder turning it into fat or carbohydrates. You're right. The best supplement prior to or after a workout is carbohydrates, and complex carbohydrates are best because it takes your body longer to assimilate them. Stay away from sugars. The worst type are simple monohydrates like glucose which are absorbed and utilized without any processing by the body. You've probably heard of a "sugar high" which is a transitory spike in energy that lasts for a short time. Many foods contain complex carbohydrates, the easiest to acquire are nuts and whole wheat products. Rice, (especially brown rice), corn, and buckwheat are less eaten, but are really good at replacing the energy stores after a workout and providing the energy needed to go through a workout.

I'm sure you'll receive lots of advice from well meaning and ignorant (NOT STUPID!!) people who are trying to help and simply don't know what they're talking about, but Carter, it's good to see someone who recognizes the importance of carbohydrates in a workout and, I hope, knows what a ridiculous and ubiquitous belief there is out there concerning protein supplements. You've got to hand it to modern advertising; they've brain washed almost all of the athletes trying to improve their physical condition. It reminds me of the universally known truth that is still believed by many people today that cold or wet feet cause you to catch an upper respiratory infection. If you think about this logically, doesn't that seem absurd? It is.

• Logan

Dextrose is a sugar with nearly twice the glycemic kick of table sugar. I bought a 50lb. bag. Combine with whey protein.