Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it illegal in USA to have multiple citzenships ?

No, not if you were born with them. But if you weren't born with U.S. citizenship, then you have a problem: After you are born, it is (usually) illegal to get U.S. citizenship without giving up whatever citizenship you already have.

No, the US allows you to have multiple citizenships.

US law recognizes dual-citizenship BY BIRTH.

Unless there has been a recent change, becoming a naturalized US citizen requires renouncing citizenship in you former country and becoming a naturalized citizen of another country IS renouncing your US citizenship.

• Clive

No. It doesn't like it very much, but it doesn't forbid it.

Since 1983, it is been perfectly legal to have other citizenships. Only your US citizenship is recognised whilst you are in the US of course. That is true for all countries that tolerate multiple citizenships. But when I naturalised in the US three years ago, they did not request I give up my other two citizenships to do so. They were perfectly happy for me to retain them. The only thing I had to hand in was my greencard.

Before 1983 you lost your other citizenships if you naturalised. Even people who had held another citizenship from birth would have that other passport taken if they were foolish enough to show both when checking in for a flight out of the US.

Interestingly, it was at about that time that the US started forced citizenship for those with a US birthplace. Before that you could be born in the US and go home on a passport issued by your parents' country. Neither my cousin (US born 1951) nor Boris Johnson (US born 1952) ever held a US passport. But my son (US born 1986) was not allowed to leave on his Great British passport. He had to first get a US passport even though he was going home.

No. The USA allows dual and multiple nationality.

• Saga

No. Why do you want to know this ?

• Maxi

No.........................