Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

What should I pack for hospital?

I'm 35 week pregnant I just want to know what can I pack just the baby item. My mother in law said just pack the baby stuff. I'll be back home on the same day. 

• Suzy Q
    Best Answer

If you only pack for baby, what are you going to wear home? There is a good chance the outfit you wear going in won't be clean and fresh by the time you go home.

Just pack an overnight bag. If the hospital doesn't have hospital gowns, you may want to take a nightgown you don't mind ruining. And something comfortable like sweatpants and a shirt to go home in. If you have a slow labour, something to distract you may be welcome. And a phone charger is probably a good idea, you don't want to have your phone die on you just when you want to tell everybody the good news.

Even if you're leaving within a few hours of giving birth, you will want to take a shower at the hospital. Giving birth makes you sweaty and gross. Seriously, obviously at first I couldn't wait to bond with my newborn and nurse him, but then I couldn't wait to wash my hair. With my own shampoo. And brush my teeth. 

• Suzy Q
      1 month agoReport

As for the outfit you wear home, I suggest improving your reading skills. Asker's mother in law suggested she pack NOTHING for herself. Meaning she wouldn't have packed different clothes to wear home. 

• Edna

Pack what YOU will need for yourself while you're in the hospital: A gown or pj's, a robe; house slippers,, your makeup and a comb and brush, your toothbrush and toothpaste, a book to read, and some clothes to wear home from the hospital.

The hospital will provide almost everything the baby needs.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Suzy Q: She might THINK she'll be back home the same day she gives birth, but she might not be. There could be unforeseen complications with delivery or with the health of the child that would necessitate them both staying in the hospital for a number of days.

Personally, I don't even pack an outfit for the baby. The hospital has plenty for the time we're there, and since we don't find out what we're having, we can't have an outfit ready. For our first we thought we'd do one for each sex and handle it that way, but lo and behold, even premie clothes were too big for him. So since we realize we also can't predict size, our practice is to have my husband buy an outfit after the birth. Or heck, just bring them home in the hospital onesie and a blanket.

For myself, I brought a book, my phone with charger, and a nursing bra with pajamas. Everything else was provided by the hospital (socks/slippers, toiletries, pads, etc).

• LizB

I packed some comfortable clothes (that I could nurse in) for myself, my travel bag with my toiletries, a spare phone charger, two outfits for baby, and with baby #2 I also brought two zipper swaddles. I never really got the hang of blanket swaddles, and zipper swaddles are much easier to change diapers in so I brought them from home.

• PAMELA

Ask the hospital, they have a list of stuff, and you do not know if you will be back the next day.

All you really need is an outfit for the baby, and whatever clothes you want to wear home.

I was in hospital for nearly three weeks. I'd pack some personal stuffif I were to do it again.