Re: British politician Baron Gilmour  (b 1926). Wiki says he inherited from his g'father Sir Hedworth Meux, but apparently H M had no kids!?

OK, so bumbling about through Wikipedia I found the interesting article on the life of Ian Hedworth John Little Gilmour, Baron Gilmour of Craigmillar, PC (8 July 1926 – 21 September 2007).

Here's the thing though, it says he had inheritance "from his grandfather, Admiral of the Fleet, the Hon. Sir Hedworth Meux."

However, Sir Hedworth (formerly Lambton) only has one marriage, late in his life after much naval and royal service, listed on his Wikipedia page - and as without issue.

So how can a childless man be a grandfather?! Great-uncle, sure, but I haven't seen anything about siblings either.

Someone help me out here. Idle question so don't go all academic research on me unless that's your fun hobby.

Cheers. Phil in Portsmouth UK

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Wiki is prone to errors. Sir Henry Meux bt inherited a fortune from from his father made in brewing (the Horseshoe Brewery, now the site of the Dominion Theater in London) and left his estate and share of the business to his widow, Valeire in 1900. They had no heirs but she was fond of Hedworth Lambton, to whom she gifted her stake in the brewery and Theobolds Park in Broxbourne on condition he changed his name to Meux (pronounced Mews). He in turn had no heirs and presented part of Theobolds Park to the town of Cheshunt and the brewery business to Gilmour's father.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I searched Sir Hedworth Meux on thepeerage.com and, indeed, he died without issue:

Admiral Hon. Sir Hedworth Meux was born on 5 July 1856.He was the son of George Frederick D'Arcy Lambton, 2nd Earl of Durham and Lady Beatrix Frances Hamilton. He married Hon. Mildred Cecilia Harriet Sturt, daughter of Henry Gerard Sturt, 1st Baron Alington of Crichel and Lady Augusta Bingham, on 18 April 1910 at St. Paul's Church, Knightsbridge, London, EnglandG.3 He died on 20 September 1929 at age 73, without issue.

The people who contributed to this page were not clear that Meux was sort of a step-grandfather. They gave a link, but did not state the fact that Meux's wife had unofficially adopted Hedworth Lambton as her heir.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120305120331/http://...

He had no children, and he left his fortune, subject to his widow's interest, to her grandson Sir Ian Hedworth John Little Gilmour, third baronet (b. 1926), later a Conservative MP and cabinet minister. /people/meux.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie,_Lady_Meux

When Sir Hedworth Lambton, the commander of the Naval Brigade at Ladysmith, returned to England, he called on Lady Meux at Theobalds to thank her for her gift and recount his adventures. She was so taken with him that she made him the chief beneficiary of her will, on condition that he change his surname to Meux (she was without direct heirs). When she died on 20 December 1910, he willingly changed his name by Royal Warrant, and inherited the Hertfordshire estate and a substantial interest in the Meux Brewery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.