If i refuse to talk to the police in my own house can they arrest me?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Simply refusing to talk is your Miranda right. Can only arrest if they had a warrant, anyway. My neighbor, Stan B_______, refused to talk to cops, told them go away. .Nothing happened.

Note, that we don't Know All the Particulars. Why were cops taking to you? Barking dog? Information on druggie neighbor? Just cops Being there means absolutely Nothing it itself .Maybe, Wrong House?

• 1 month ago

They can't arrest you for refusing to talk to them. But if they have come to talk to you. They probably already have sufficient evidence to arrest you. Be polite and courteous and tell the police officer I always have my lawyer present during questioning by the police. If they arrest you they arrest you if they don't they don't.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Bunk, May have wrong house, barking dog complaints, asking about druggie neighbor. Innocent until Proven guilty.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are never under any obligation to speak to the police, so that is not an issue.

If they have probable cause and/or a warrant, they can arrest you anywhere.

• 1 month ago

In the US, they can't arrest you anywhere for refusing to talk.

If they have grounds to arrest you, being at your home only means they need a warrant to enter without your consent. They can call for a warrant from your front door.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Scratched the exigent circs. I just recalled l that this excuses a forced entry without warrant. Like, see drugs, house on fire, chased suspect into to the house.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It depends on what they want to talk to you about.

• 1 month ago

Of course they can - location is irrelevant

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

NOT for standing on Miranda rights, No. If they have a warrant, will arrest, anyway, anywhere--. But he did not Say this.,

• 1 month ago

No the can not. But still it always best to cooperate with law enforcement.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

NO. Do NOT talk to police , Ever, w/o Counsel. Many innocents got charged and had to hire $$ lawyer to get out.

• 1 month ago

If you're obstructing them from investigating a crime, absolutely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.