Anonymous

What does Yankees mean? Is it offensive? And are you proud to be Yankee?

Best Answer

People in other countries call a person from the United States a Yankee. In the southern United States, the word Yankee means a Northerner, or someone who comes from north of Mason and Dixon's line. And to most people in America, the word Yankee means a New Englander.

• Zirp

It's derived from two common Dutch names, Jan and Kees

The word is used to indicate people from New York, or anyone on the "northern" side during the civil war. Worldwide , it's a somewhat pejorative word for any USAmerican

"e pluribus unum", "deo vindice" both the US and Confederate South's national mottos are written in Roman Latin.

Yankee was used for people associated with New England and the North. Most people in the US don't claim that association, the split is old US history. You actually see more people claiming a link to Nova Hispania, that's if they claim anything.

I find it about as offensive as the term Anglo (not very). My blond hair confuses people in the US, My mother was born in Latina (Europe), I'm not Anglo or Saxon ... and I'm still not sure how Latin got assigned to Mesoamerica or Hispania (Spain) with those two mottos either.