Will I get fired for this or should I just resign?

I have recently started a new job in a restaurant as a prep coordinator. I have been there almost 3 weeks.

Yesterday I did a closing shift 16:00pm-1:00am but there was a staff meeting hours after starting at 9am finishing at 11am. I was tired and slightly sick with a headache, but I told a colleague that I didn't care and I wouldn't be coming to the staff meeting.

I sent a message on Whatsapp to the manager to say I was sick and she said the colleague told her what I said, Whatsapp was not the correct protocol for calling in sick and to still come anyways. Despite this I still did not go to the meeting.

Will I get fired for this or should I just resign?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Friend you should have taken the courtesy to properly notify your boss by telephone. Or in person. You might get warned about it and keep your job. You sound to me like you don't want to keep it. But if you're looking to keep your job tell your boss you are extremely ill and and apologize you might get to keep your job

• 4 weeks ago

You don't get a prep coordinator job without knowing you can be fired for not showing up to mandatory meetings.

I don't know what your ACTUAL job WAS, but you already quit for all practical purposes.

Also note: There is NO SUCH THING as 16:00pm. You can say 1600 or 4:00pm, but if you use a 24 hour clock, you DO NOT use am/pm.

• 4 weeks ago

How about growing up and accepting responsibility?

• 4 weeks ago

Well you are going to be written up, as you were told that the app wasn't a proper call off and to show up anyway. Will you be fired? How many writes up do you have and how many are you allowed? Are you of any value to them if you these are written out? We really don't know if you will be fired for sure or not. If you are a good employee and this is your first write-up then you'll probably be fine. If this is a pattern for you then you probably will be fired.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Less than a month and a blatant violation of orders. They don't bather writing you up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Biff
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Telling your colleague you didn't care wasn't a good idea. It was unreasonable to expect you to attend a meeting eight hours after your shift finished and you should have said you were very tired and might not make it. Wait to see what the manager says and make that point.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.