will oil leaking from a valve cover gasket cause clutch to go out much sooner if don't replace gasket on engine?

I replaced the clutch about 35,000 miles ago, and have not repaired the leaking valve cover gasket since it was replaced. I just top up the oil in the engine each week. So, I have been reading lately how oil leaking from the engine will "Contaminate" the clutch friction plate and cause to develop hot spots on the friction plate. How do I know if damage has already been done? (will plan to replace valve cover gasket within the next thousand miles for sure now that I know)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

no it wont contaminate the clutch ..but you must be daft not to sort a leaking rocker cover gasket ...its a quick simple job

• 1 month ago

You won't know until the clutch starts slipping and it's too late.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 1 month ago

oil leaking from valve cover gasket can cause all kinds of problems the oil can get on your engine mounts and cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars it'll soften them up and do the same thing to your clutch plate.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would only "contaminate" it if the leaking oil was getting in there somehow, which is unlikely.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An oil leak that gets on the clutch will ruin it. An oil leak that gets on hoses will ruin them. An oil leak on an alternator or starter will ruin it. If you are confident the leak is not getting on these parts then it won't ruin them. 

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

not unless you have to add like 2 quarts a day and itz leaking like a seive ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.