what parts in my computer are a must upgrade?

My computer currently running destiny 2 on very low graphical setting and I want to know what in my computer is a must upgrade if i had to prioritize one. I am not the most knowledgable and would appreciate all the feedback thank you :). The image below are my specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

RAM: 16 gb dual channel

motherboard:Gigabyte technology co. Ltd AB350M

graphics: 4095mb NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti

Best Answer

The motherboard and ram are fine. It's usually going to be between your CPU and video card with a bit of a catch, both rely on each other to allow each to work that their full potential. I usually look at my task manager to see what is working the hardest while running my demanding game/program. I just recently upgraded due to my CPU getting maxed out on a couple of games. My video card was running at 25% while my CPU was near 100%. I upgraded to the Rzen 5 2600, which dropped my CPU into the teens while running those two games but my GPU went from 25% to 40%, meaning my old CPU was choking down my video card and only allowing 25% instead of the full 40% it was capable of. Likewise if you have a very weak video card, the CPU will not work as hard as it could because it is waiting on the weak video that is running near 100% to get the job done. The ti 1050 is relatively strong, stronger than my AMD 4800, so I suspect if you play your game, you will notice the CPU is what is working the hardest and will need to be upgraded. While both components could be to blame, it is best to begin with the CPU and see if that bumps your GPU up to 100% where you will then know that needs upgrading as well. I suspect the CPU will solve your problem, but without see what your CPU and GPU are running at while the game is running, I would not be able to give you an absolute answers.

• SBR32277
      1 month agoReport

something else is if neither the cpu or gpu is running near max. If both are well within their range while running the game, then if it is based on network connection, perhaps that is the choke point.

HDD TO SSD, and more ram

approximately all of it ... maybe the case, power supply and drives can be reused

• Fulano

What I usually do is open up task manager and click more details, then click the Performance tab. Then play your game a while, then alt-tab back to the performance tab. Is the GPU load maxing out? Then it's the part you need to upgrade. It's a lot more reliable way to check what you need to upgrade.

If the GPU isn't maxing out, make sure nothing is slowing down the computer. Make sure the RAM usage isn't nearing 16 GB, and make sure there aren't any random programs with high CPU usage (like 15% and up). Programs can get stuck and just waste the CPU without actually accomplishing anything. Also check your system's temperatures (I like to use Speccy for that).

If the GPU isn't maxing out, and the temperatures are fine, then you'll probably want to look at a CPU upgrade. Start with the motherboard's supported CPU list and see what it can run. Even going to the second gen Ryzen CPU would be a big jump, but you should be able to run 3rd gen Ryzen chips, though you might need a BIOS update first.

If you do need a GPU upgrade, take note of how many watts your power supply can provide, and if it has a video card power cord. If it doesn't, then you'll need to upgrade that before upgrading the GPU.