Dom asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

UK General election 2019?

How likely is a general election this year? Who's likely to win?

When could it be?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not at all likely. To have a general election, 2/3 of the House of Commons must vote for it, and Labour won't because they're scared of Boris. Jeremy Corbyn says it's because it wouldn't be right to have one before sorting out a Brexit deal, but I don't believe that for one second since he's been going on about "we must have an election" for months and only changed his mind once the good ship Boris hove into view. He knows Boris is a better election campaigner than Theresa May. The question has already been put to the vote in the Commons twice last month and MPs didn't vote for it.

The only other way to get an early general election is for the Commons to vote for the motion "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government" and vote for it again 2 weeks later. Which some of the Opposition are planning on but again, I bet Corbyn and allies will abstain because he doesn't want an election.

Failing that, there won't be a general election until 2022 because that's 5 years after the last one.

All this is in the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, which we only have because the Lib Dems forced the coalition government into it. I thought it was a daft idea at the time. It was always possible before for the Prime Minister to just ask the Queen for a general election and she would say yes, but not any more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.