Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

People think I'm a geek for reading?

My mom came to meet me after work and came inside one evening, while waiting for me some girls who i work with met my mom and they say to my mom that I'm really quiet and do I ever go to nightclubs or partying. My mom told them no so they asked her what I do for fun and she told them that I read a lot. They all went quiet and looked at each other. I know they were all thinking I'm a geek, since these are the type of girls who have never picked up a book in their life, smoke weed, have boyfriends, some of them are even teen moms. But I feel so embarrassed now because there were cute boys in the room and now they know I'm a geek. I can't be around like minded people because I can't afford to go to university. My mom said she didn't mean to embarrass me bet she didn't want them to think I was completely weird and that I don't do anything.

That's just a label. Don't sweat over what others think. It's great you're an avid reader with a desire to learn, which is more than they can say for themselves, I bet. If you're a geek then I'm one too, and proud of it.

Of course you don't 'know' that they think you're a geek. Maybe some do, maybe some don't. In any case I'm betting at least a few of them are secretly impressed.

If all your reading hasn't taught you not to worry too much about what other people MIGHT think about you, you're reading the wrong books.

Meanwhile why not just chat to them a bit on a basic level? Weather, what they ate for dinner last night, plans for the weekend - simple human stuff that anybody can talk about.

• Andrew

What do you care? We don't use the term "geek" where I'm from, but from what I understand, geeks are supposed to be smart. If you're not smart enough to know that what a bunch of strangers think is of no consequence to you whatsoever, then perhaps you ought to read some different books.

• Marli

So the girls think you are a geek. Are you sure the boys aren't impressed that they can walk and talk with you and not have to drug with you?

Perhaps you should learn how to converse with your co-workers. They might like things you like: a show, a sport, pets, shopping. They asked your mum what you are like because they didn't get more than a few words about you out of you, did they? Show interest in them. You don't have to nightclub with them; but you don't want them to think you are a snob or that you think you are holier than them. What about their babies? I've yet to meet a mom who does not talk about their kids. People talk about celebrities, complain about the cost of living. Do you read romances? I bet a few of those girls read them. What about the daily paper? You have more in common with them than you or they know. You just need to show it.

Don't be embarrassed. They don't know what they're missing.

Enjoy your books! :)

• thats the trouble with this age, imbecilic cretins sadly exist around us.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

There is nothing different about 'this age' in that respect.

I think it's great that you love reading, but you have to be REPORTED for violating rules by chatting and not asking a question. FAIL.

• Zac Z

Don't be embarrassed.

If you're worried about the boys' opinions, let me tell you that there are men who like intelligent women. I'd rather date a geek than a shallow bimbo.    ;-)

i wouldnt be embarrassed about that, at least youre not doing drugs, theres nothing wrong with reading, i read myself

I would not worry about it, reading is a good outlet and opens your mind, even if you can't afford university. Maybe you could try community college, it is cheaper than a standard college and then you would meet people who want to learn, just like you.