Is a RIAA certification for the Iron Maiden album "Number of the Beast" accurate?

Do you believe that NOTB didn't reach at least two million copies sold in the USA to this day? RIAA's certification date is October 2, 1986.

• CAB

I did my bit and bought a copy in 1982

• Andrew

It's entirely possible that the figures could be much higher, but it's doubtful that we'll ever know for sure. Remember that many Metal fans purchased used copies of records, so if two million copies were sold, the half a million copies or the quarter of a million copies that were resold later wouldn't have been counted. Nor will those figures account for people buying collector's editions on the internet or from overseas. Finally, many Metal fans were tape traders back then. I had copies of records on blank tapes and CDs and in some cases it took me years to find out who the artists were, what the names of the songs were, etc. Some remain a mystery to this day. So just because an album sold a million copies, that doesn't mean that there weren't five million or ten million listening to it.