whats the best way to copy data/ a lot of media files from one external hard drive to another external hard drive?

i have a samsung external hard drive with a lot of content on it, a lot of media files, ie - pictures, music files, notepad files etc.....and soon i'm going to buy another external hard drive to back up the samsung external drive?  a brand new external hard drive.

so when i get a new external hard drive, what will be the best way to copy all the content of the samsung external hard drive to the new external drive? the quickest and most efficient way?

bearing in mind i am only a computer beginner and are only familiar with the copy and paste and drag and drop method.

also; i'm using a windows 7 desktop computer. thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Plug both in, they should show on explorer, navigation tree. copy the whole drive if you like.(space permitting)

Find your source disk in the navigation tree > select it> drag folders to the destination.

Right click and hold source disk in navigation tree> Drag to destination disc> select copy from the options. ( copy's everything.)

Left drag default moves file/folders.

Search up ghosting hard disc, an alternative.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

there's really only one way to copy them, and that is to connect both to a computer, and copy and paste them.

• 1 month ago

you can find a utility, probably free at cnet.com's downloads, to do this task overnight

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.