What does the key word "examine" mean in an essay/question?

The question I have is: "Examine the view that the Hegelian spirit is nothing more than the evolution of human consciousness into political maturity for global human co-existence?"

I need to know what exactly I am supposed to do?

How does "examine" differ from "critically evaluate"? Also am I supposed to give my own opinion or not?

Is it enough to simply examine the details and interpretations?

Thankyou. I would like to add here that the philosophy under observation is a vague metaphysical theory. And do you think : perhaps in that context it is not necessary to give my "opinion", but rather my "interpretation"?

Best Answer

the word inspect would serve about the same purpose. It is not markedly different from the idea of critically evaluate, because an evaluation is an inspection with conclusions or inferences which follow. It is not obvious to me that examine includes the second part of the assessment (providing opinions that you derive from the examination rather than simply performing only the identification aspect which is an examination), but the context would suggest that you would also be expected to provide knowledge-based opinions or conclusions.

The word "discuss" might work as well as any other word choice, even.

Look at this and talk about what you see.

• Thankyou. I would like to add here that the philosophy under observation is a vague metaphysical theory. And do you think : perhaps in that context it is not necessary to give my "opinion", but rather my "interpretation?

• Laurie

It means “analyze”. Yes, you are supposed to give your own opinions, but they must be backed up by evidence or evidence-based logic... not just “feelings”.

It means that you have to study and consider.

• Poorly-worded question.

Probably the intended meaning is "analyze" or - as you suppose - "critically evaluate".

You should probably give both pros and cons of that "view".