Is there a drug crisis in Hollywood?

I was thinking about a vacation I took to Hollywood last year. It was my second visit there, and I was shocked by how different it was compared to my first visit in 2013.

First, during the day when the sun was out, I saw a lot of dodgy people walking around. They walked clumsily as if under influenced, their eyes were abnormally red and glassy - and if you happened to be in their vision, for no real good reason, they'll approach you and intimidate you, either by yelling or kicking the vehicle you're in.

Even the accommodation we stayed at was in a scary area, because there were homeless looking people hanging around the accommodation car park - maybe planning to break in during the night.

We only stayed in the Hollywood area for a couple days before heading onto San Francisco, where I felt safe.

I'm not using this Question as an excuse to complain but am wondering does Hollywood have a drug problem? I had thought Hollywood was well-maintained with great police and security.

I had always wanted to immigrate to USA and settle in California, but after my second trip there, I'm not too sure. I'm from Australia, a country built up by English convicts, and I thought I had been living in dodgy areas!

• Foofa

There's definitely a homelessness crisis in Hollywood and most of that IS fueled by drugs. But in most cases the underlying issue is mental illness. The drugs come later when mentally ill people attempt to medicate themselves. The curious thing is how you felt safer in San Francisco when that city has all the same problems.

Also, one wonders why you thought Hollywood was "well-maintained". It's nothing more than just a neighborhood of the critically poorly run city of Los Angeles. We don't have our own police force and suffer under all the same mismanagement the rest of L.A. does. But I can say as someone born and raised here that despite what you see now Hollywood Blvd. is now far better than it was when I was a kid.

• DEBS

The city of Hollywood has, for at least 40 years, been not a nice place. What you describe has always been there. Drugs, homeless, and hookers have always been common in certain areas. Hollywood is listed as the 10th worst place to live in LA for 2019. I am surprised your earlier visit gave you a better impression.

• Mog

Probably. Opioid crisis